5 Best Underwater Metal Detectors
- Garrett Sea Hunter MK-II Metal Detector
- Fisher 1280X-8 Underwater All-Purpose Metal Detector
- Nokta Makro Anfibio 19 kHz Underwater Metal Detector
- DR.ÖTEK IP68 Waterproof Metal Detector Pinpointer
- Garrett AT Pro Underwater Metal Detector
Long lost treasures are not only found on land but there are lots of precious metals and interesting items buried just under the surface in our seas and lakes. The good news is that there are a lot of good quality underwater metal detectors available on the market today.
Now whether you’re planning on using your detector at the beach, at the ocean, or even in the local river, searching for hidden treasure underwater adds a whole new dimension to your metal detecting experience.
Waterproof metal detectors are growing in popularity because many detectorists are finding that they are more versatile and flexible than those that are not waterproof.
Submersible metal detectors are great for divers, snorkelers, waders, or anyone who wants to discover the hidden treasures under the surface of the water.
So as you can see, there is an abundance of treasure waiting to be discovered under the sea. Now thankfully the technology has moved on and we’re now able to search beneath the waves and with the best waterproof metal detector, we have a much better chance of unearthing a lost piece of history.
In this article, we will take a look at the 5 best underwater metal detectors on the market if you are looking for a detector to take you beneath the water’s surface. After reading this guide you’ll be able to choose the best underwater metal detector with confidence and head out to try and find your treasure.
Garrett Sea Hunter MK-II Metal Detector
With its patented PI technology, you could be finding your buried sea treasure in no time. What makes the Garret Sea Hunter, one of our top 5 underwater metal detectors, is its versatility in both freshwater and saltwater expeditions. If you want to branch out from your lakes and streams and conduct some wreckage dives, then this is the option for you.
“This metal detector is one of the finest machines on the market. It is really easy to use and is very sensitive to gold. It is quick to set up and great for SCUBA divers as well as land users. I highly recommend this detector.”
The Sea Hunter MK-II has excellent detection on metal targets, from jewelry and coins to nuggets, so that you can focus on your saltwater treasure hunting. The Sea Hunter has an adjustable audio threshold with discrimination and sensitivity control for greater accuracy, and you may choose two trash elimination modes.
The ScubaMate box can be positioned to suit your needs, at the hip, under the cuff, at the top of the stem, or attached to the short stem to aid you in diving activities. There are also adjustable straps to conform to your wetsuit according to your preferred style. The kit comes with an instructional video to set you off, ready for your diving adventure.
The Sea Hunter can take you down as far as 200 feet (60,96m) in the water, which gives you plenty of depth to explore your underwater treasure options. The arm length extends from 28″ to 52″ (.71m – 1.32m) to provide you with extra reach in hard-to-reach spots and an 8’’ mono search coil. Weighing in at only 5.1lbs (2.3kgs), it is light enough not to weigh you down.
Pros & Cons
- Technology: PI (Pulse Induction)
- Frequencies: 22
- Search Coil: 8″
- Waterproof: Up to 200 feet
- Up-datable Software: No
- VDI (Target ID): No
- Search Modes: 3
- Ground Balance: No
- Pinpoint Mode: No
- Audio Tones: 1
- Batteries: 8 AA batteries required
- Weight:5.07 lb
- Warranty: 2 years
No products found.
Fisher 1280X-8 Underwater All-Purpose Metal Detector
The Fisher 1280X-8 is a durable and accurate underwater metal detector designed with a long extension for wading and a shortened pole suited to diving.
The Fisher 1280X-8 has an impressive submersible depth of up to 250 feet (76.2 meters), so you have the range to really deepen your search for your underwater bounty.
The Fisher has a turn-on-and-go operation, which means that the system automatically tunes itself to changing conditions without you having to do a thing. You no longer need to waste time tweaking your threshold and ground balancing because the 1280X-8 does it all for you.
“Absolutely love this underwater detector!! If you want to use a metal detector you need one that is waterproof “
The Fischer 1280X-8 can be used in both freshwater and saltwater adventures and offers a full range of target discrimination, so you can really hone in on that gold if you wish. The 1280x does not have an LCD screen, making the controls much easier to read than a model with a confusing menu or a variety of options. And with 75 hours of battery strength, you won’t have to cut your expedition short.
The box converts into a belt mount if you plan a deeper dive, so your movements won’t be impeded. The Fisher 1280X-8 comes in both 8’’ and 10.5’’ coil options and extends from 33’’ collapsed to 49’’ fully expanded for a great reach. The kit comes with a Piezo Electric custom-designed head seat with crystal clear sound. The kit only weighs 5.1lbs, including the headset, so it won’t slow you down when you are on the hunt.
Pros & Cons
- Turn On and Go Operation
- Submersible for up to an amazing 250 feet
- Full Range Target Discrimination
- Adjustable Sensitivity Control
- Audio and Visual Target Response
- VLF Discrimination
- 8″ and 10″ Coil Options
- An impressive 75+ Hours of Battery Life
- Operating Frequency: 2.4 kHz
- 2-Year Limited Warranty
Nokta Makro Anfibio 19 kHz Underwater Metal Detector with Wireless Headphones
The Nokta Makro Anfibio 19 is equally efficient on the beach or in the fields and delivers outstanding depth and performance. The user-friendly navigation screens save you time scrolling through multiple screens by providing a single menu design. Although not suited for deep treasure diving, the Nokta Anfibio is fully submersible up to an impressive 16.4 feet (5 meters), making it perfect for wading in rivers, lakes, or tidal pools in low surf.
The Nokta has advanced discriminating and unmasking features to save you time digging for those infuriating soda can rings.
“I love this machine, fully waterproof up to 5 meters, I have used this when I was scuba diving in the river and it worked amazingly. Great audio and sharp signals with very impressive depth range”
However, the real reason the Anfibio is set apart from its competitors is its impressive 11-inch coil for extra penetration for items of interest.
Not only does it offer greater depth response, but the Anfibio also has the new EUD function that can detect metals that are masked by ground conditions for enhanced range and accuracy.
The Anfibio allows you to select 3 ID depth levels and offers five search modes to suit your terrain and target. The Kit comes with 2.4 GHz wireless headphones, so you won’t have to struggle with sound latency issues. With a weight of only 5lbs, the Anfibio is light enough to take on any adventure.
Pros & Cons
- INCLUDES: Nokta Makro Anfibio 19 kHz Underwater Metal Detector with 11″ Waterproof DD Search Coil, Wireless Headphones, Coil Cover, USB Cable, AC Charger, and a Two-Year Warranty.
- Fully submersible up to 5 meters (16.4ft.) – IP68 Protected from total dust ingress.
- Excellent Discrimination and Unmasking Ability: Save time by detecting the targets you want while spending less time digging.
- New Design Coil: The new 28cm (11″) coil offers that extra depth you are looking for!
- 5 Search Modes: GEN, 2 Tone, 3 Tone, Deep, Cache
DR.ÖTEK IP68 Waterproof Metal Detector Pinpointer
Something a little different now. The Dr. Ötek IP68 is a fully submersible pinpointing metal detector with a 360-degree range that can easily be held in one hand. The ultimate lightweight detector is as effective on dry land as it is in the water (up to 32 feet.) The one-button operation makes the IP68 a breeze to use, and the 5-minute auto-shutdown saves you loads of battery time.
The one-button system immediately reconfigures your location and target, so you don’t spend time being distracted by other nearby targets. The LED offers four alert levels and is precise enough to target coins, jewelry, and old silver in multiple environments.
The IP68’s 360° area of detection allows for rapid target location precise enough to find metal screws, thumbtacks, or tiny jewelry pieces such as earrings.
The IP68 even comes equipped with a powerful light beam that can illuminate areas underwater with low visibility. The detectors signal through a colored light system and emit a white beam when it has targeted metal.
“Wasn’t sure what the quality would be like buying from Amazon. But after some research, I chose this one and I’m really happy I did. I like the light on the front that changes colors when you get closer to the item. So helpful. It also has a LED type light underneath which makes it very handy in low light situations.”
If you don’t like having to wear hot and bulky headphones when you are out and about, the IP68 alerts you through light and vibration so you may swim and search freely without worrying about whether your headphones are waterproof or not.
With a weight of only 9 oz (255 grams), this is the most versatile and portable detector you will find on the market, and the best thing is you can simply fit it into your belt with no boxes or wires or cumbersome extensions.
Pros & Cons
- FULLY WATERPROOF UP TO 32 FEET UNDERWATER. Take the pointer below the surface of lakes, rivers, ponds, and oceans to locate historic wrecks other searchers can’t find. Other leading detectors only go down 13 feet and cannot be fully immersed in water. This being fully submersible 32 feet depth gives you a big advantage.
- 360° AREA OF DETECTION. This very sensitive 360-degree pinpointer can precisely locate the target rapidly and accurately and also find metal screws, thumbtacks, and even lost jewelry around your home. Avoid lots of unnecessary digging. Spare your time indoors & outdoors for a memorable treasure hunting!
- ONE BUTTON EASE OF USE. One Button Operation makes this pinpointer very easy to use. It’s suitable for any age kids to adults. 5 Minute Automatic Shutdown saves battery power for extended life that never lets you down. 4-level LED lets you accurately pinpoint objects in all environments.
- NO DISTURBING SPEAKERS. Our better design uses vibrate and LED flashing alarm rather than audible noise. Let’s you work quietly so as not to disturb others and wildlife.
- A PERFECT GIFT FOR KIDS & Friends. This pinpointer metal detector is a perfect Christmas gift for your friends and family numbers who love outdoor adventure. With a compact size, it’s also perfect for kids to reignite their sense of adventure with the great outdoors by giving them the gift of a metal detector pinpointer.
Garrett AT Pro Underwater Metal Detector
Once again we have saved the best till last. The update Garrett AT Pro has the impressive features that have made this detector such a great all-terrain machine. And on top of that, it is also waterproof to 10 feet or 3 meters.
The detector can be fully submerged and in the numerous reviews, detectorists have mentioned how accurate this thing is in the water.
So if you are after a submersible detector that won’t break the bank then you won’t go wrong with this one. You will need to buy separate headphones though, as the ones that come with it are not waterproof.
The all-new ground balance feature of this machine helps fine-tune the metal detector to the soil type and condition you are detecting in. In lay-mans terms, it reduces the false signals and “chatter” from the machine and increases its accuracy.
This true all-rounder, can not only be used in freshwater but also in saltwater too. So it is right at home on the beach as it is inland. In fact, this versatile detector is a jack of all trades. A huge advantage is of course its underwater abilities, making it a very popular choice among the growing band of detectorists, who want to search those places beneath the surface of the water.
“An awesome detector! I’m relatively new to metal detecting, but the assembly and instructions are very easy to understand. Garrett also has a load of YouTube videos that were really helpful as well. I was able to find things my first time out. I would highly recommend this product.”
The AT Pro features advanced audio modes. This allows the user to hear the subtle changes in a target’s response. This added feature helps the user better judge a target’s size, shape, and depth and has the added benefit of a much faster recovery time when detecting adjacent targets.
At just over 3 lbs, the AT Pro is easy to swing and has a great balanced feel to it. And the six search patterns available in the 2 search modes, provides the user with a very good span of possibilities.
So all in all the AT Pro can be made to operate very simply or can be tailored to give more detail for the more experienced user.
Pros & Cons
- Garrett AT PRO Metal Detector – USA Version – with 2 Year Warranty.
- Includes 8.5″ x 11″ PROformance DD submersible searchcoil, Premium volume-control land headphones and Batteries.
- WATERPROOF TO 10 FEET OR 3 METERS