Here we take an in-depth look at, what we consider to be, the seven best metal detectors for coins 2023.
If you love finding old items hidden in the ground, you need a metal detector. If you love finding old coins underground, you need a metal detector that is extra-sensitive and will know exactly where the coins are located.
Believe it or not, it’s very simple to find a lot of coins under the ground if you know where to look and if you have the right metal detector. Both of these things are easy to accomplish.
What Is a Metal Detector?
Metal detectors are used mostly to find old artifacts buried underground, and the two most popular items to find include coins and jewelry. The way metal detectors work is really quite simple.
A search coil is built into the very bottom of the detector, and that coil releases an electromagnetic field into the ground. If any metal items are located there, that electromagnetic field becomes energized and transmits an electromagnetic field of its own.
At this point, the metal detector gives off a sound, usually a beeping sound, to let you know that there is metal underneath the ground.
Better still, if you get the right metal detector, it won’t go off when it senses items such as old nails or bottle tops.
You don’t necessarily have to spend a lot of money when you purchase a metal detector, but if you want to make money with your detector, you do need to make sure its features include the ability to distinguish between wanted and unwanted items.
Metal detecting is a hobby enjoyed by millions of people of all ages all over the world, and there is little wonder why. Imagine the feeling you’d get from pulling an old coin out of the ground, washing it off, then discovering that it is over 100 years old!
Some of the items you’ll discover with a metal detector can be very valuable, but even if you decide to keep the objects, this still makes for a very fun and productive past time.
There are also two types of metal detector enthusiasts: the part-time hobbyist and the person who’s decided to take the hobby one step further.
Deciding which description fits you best is the first step to helping you find the right metal detector, and because this product comes in such a wide range of prices, you should be able to find something that is just right for you without going over your budget.
If you’re wondering which models are the best metal detectors for coins, there are actually several of them that fit into that category.
Below are some high-quality metal detectors made by reputable companies, so this should make it super easy for you to find one that suits your needs.
Seven Best Metal Detectors for Coins
- Minelab CTX 3030 Metal Detector
- XP Metal Detectors ORX Metal Detector
- Fisher Labs F75 Metal Detector
- Garrett AT MAX Waterproof Metal Detector
- White’s Electronics Spectra V3i Metal Detector
- Nokta Simplex+ Metal Detector
- Nokta Anfibio Multi Detector Bundle
At just under $2,500, this isn’t exactly the least expensive metal detector on the market, but once you get it out to the field, you’ll understand why it is worth the price you pay for it. Read on and see why it is on the list of the best metal detector for coins.
It is waterproof to protect it from the elements and it even comes with a GPS device that lets you see where you’re going and even where you’ve been.
“After using this detector for several seasons I have come to the conclusion that there currently is no better machine for coins and jewelry in or out of the water. I have been able to use it long enough to know what to dig and what not to dig just by looking at the display screen “
Even better, you can upload all of your treasure locations and detector settings to your PC so you can keep track of them.
The CTX 3030 metal detector has a wireless audio feature, which means you can detect without your headphones being directly attached to the detector.
It also has the capability to find a variety of targets in many different ground conditions, so you are very likely to find coins regardless of where you go to look.
Even if you’re in an area where there is loads of junk and filled with litter, your chances of finding coins are very high.
This metal detector runs on a lithium-ion battery, which is included, and it is lightweight at just 4 lbs., making it super easy to maneuver as you move from one spot to the next.
Since it’s waterproof to 10 feet, detecting in a beach area is a piece of cake.
- Waterproof Go detecting anywhere with this versatile TREASURE detector the CTX 3030 is waterproof to 10 ft. (3 m)
- GPS Locating See where you have been and where you are going, by using the Map screen and Navigation Tool
- PC Mapping (with Google Maps) Upload all of your detector settings and treasure locations to your PC using the Exchange 2 application
- Wireless Audio Have the freedom to detect without your headphones being attached to your detector with the choice of built-in speaker or headphones
- FBS 2 Technology uses multiple frequency transmission and coil-to-detector data communication to find more targets in variable ground conditions
Manufactured by XP Metal Detectors, the ORX comes complete with a high-quality headphone set and has a backlit display that makes it easy to see what you’re doing at all times.
There are a total of 35 frequencies that accommodate all types of terrains, as well as an easy-to-understand menu containing four preset programs – two for coins and two for gold pieces.
“I have a Deus, and now the ORX, this is a really fantastic detector for the price. It’s very much a pickup and go detector. beginners would be able to pick up and go so is ideal for the novice.”
Even if the ground you’re exploring is contaminated or mineralized, the ORX metal detector will find that next great coin for you easily and quickly.
It is programmable in case you want to personalize its features, increasing your odds of being successful the next time you go out and hunt for coins or jewelry.
Priced at around $650, it is not unreasonable but it is certainly a well-made metal detector that can provide you with many hours of fun.
The ORX detector is also very easy to use because you can do anything with just the touch of a button. It comes with the two lithium polymer batteries it needs to function right, and at barely 3.5 lbs., it is light enough to make it easy to maneuver from one area to another
- 35 Frequencies (3.7 kHz to 27.7 kHz) – For use in all terrains. Select your program and start metal detecting!
- Searching for Coins, Jewelry, and Relics? ORX Metal Detector: Built From XP Deus DNA
- The ORX has a very easy-to-understand menu with 4 factory pre-set programs 2 Coin and 2 Gold Prospecting – All accessed by the simple press of a button. Two Coin, Jewelry, and Relic Modes Pre-Set:
- Coin Fast: For coins jewelry and all types of targets good performance on mineralized or contaminated ground
- 1. Coin Deep: For coins and all types of targets good performance on low mineralized, uncontaminated ground. Also Includes two gold nuggets modes of 1. Gold and 2. Fine Gold, plus two free slots for User Defined Customizable Programs.
This is a great multipurpose metal detector that still provides you with professional results each time you go out to hunt relics.
Priced at around $550, the F75 is even ergonomically designed to provide you with top-notch comfort, and the large LCD screen makes it super easy to view everything that’s going on with the detector.
It is lightweight and even has the ability to find relics when the area you’re in is filled with trash.
The backlit screen is easy to see and the detector works in humidity levels of up to 90%, which means spending a little time on the beach is never a problem.
“Put simply. I love it. It gave me quite a learning curve (thanks youtube). But I have found dime-size metal items at around 14″. The best thing I found was the old cell phone that I lost when I was gardening about 6 years ago. No, it didn’t work, but at least I know where it went now.”
It is a very lightweight metal detector and makes pinpointing the target area simple and efficient.
You can even save your settings in case you want to keep a list of everything you’ve found with your detector and exactly where you found those items.
Finally, the F75 metal detector operates on the enclosed four AA batteries, and its weight of less than 5 lbs. makes it easy to carry around with you the next time you’re ready for some serious detecting work.
- Lightest weight / best ergonomics in the industry – powerful performance trigger-actuated target pinpointing with variable audio pitch – large LCD screen with 0-99 numeric target identification display
- Double-filter discrimination modes for searching in trashy areas – magnetic mineralization bar graph and readout – trigger-actuated fast grab ground balance
- Non-volatile memory saves settings – backlight – for low light hunting conditions – low operating cost – typically 40+ hours with 4-aa alkaline batteries
- Double-D Waterproof Search Coil – Rain Cover for Control Housing & Battery Housing Available
- Recommended for: coin shooting, relic hunting, beach hunting, gold prospecting. Operating humidity range: 0-90% non-condensing
- Large LCD screen with target identification display
- Double-filter discrimination modes for searching in trashy areas
- Lightest weight / best ergonomics in the industry - powerful performance trigger-actuated target pinpointing with variable audio pitch - large lcd screen with 0-99 numeric target identification display
- Double-filter discrimination modes for searching in trashy areas - magnetic mineralization bar graph and readout - trigger-actuated fastgrab ground balance
- Non-volatile memory saves settings - backlight – for low light hunting conditions - low operating cost – typically 40+ hours with 4-aa alkaline batteries
- Double-D Waterproof Search Coil - Rain Cover for Control Housing & Battery Housing Available
- Recommended for: coin shooting, relic hunting, beach hunting, gold prospecting. Operating humidity range: 0-90% non-condensing
A great professional metal detector without the professional price, the Garrett AT MAX metal detector is waterproof and comes with wireless headphones that don’t have to be attached to the detector itself to function.
It has a total of eight sensitivity settings to help you find the exact relic you’re looking for, and you even get both fresh-water and salt-water modes if you love detecting on the beach.
“Great machine! You get what you pay for with products like this. Garrett has produced some of the best detectors for a long while now and I could not be happier with my AT max! Watch YouTube and get an idea of the capabilities before you make an informed purchase.”
Priced at around $722, the AT MAX metal detector has features such as an efficient pinpointing function for better success while detecting, a back-lit screen to make viewing everything that’s going on a lot easier.
And the four AA batteries you’ll need to use the detector as soon as you get it out of the package. This is one metal detector you will never regret purchasing.
Furthermore, the detector is lightweight at barely 3 lbs., which means that anyone can use it. It is an all-terrain metal detector that can handle a lot of abuse, making it easy to keep it around for many years to come.
- Enhanced Z-Lynk Pinpointer: Pro-Pointer All Terrain Z-Lynk Pinpointer integrates with the included MS-3 Headphones to hear sounds directly through your headphones
- Wireless Z-Lynk MS-3 Headphones Included, Enhanced Detection Depth, True All-Metal Mode
- LED Backlit Screen, Frequency 13.6 kHz, adjustable Ground Balance, Auto/Manual: High Resolution 175 pts Auto Ground Balance, Iron Audio, Iron Discrimination Segments: 44
- Threshold Adjustment, Electronic Pinpointing, Waterproof to 10 feet (3m), Freshwater / Saltwater Search Modes, Digital Target ID, Audio Tone ID
- Notch Discrimination, 8 Sensitivity Adjustments, Fast Recovery Speed, Target Depth ID, 8.5x 11″ DD PROformance Coil
When you’re searching for the best metal detector for coins, you’ll want one that is easy to use and produces great results, and that’s exactly what this detector offers you.
Priced at around $1,350, it even comes with 10 “turn on and go” features that make it fast to get started on your next adventure.
“It is all that it claims and more! A very high build quality, Useful immediately for a novice or even the expert. Many different high-function features. My first and possibly last detector purchase!”
The backlit display not only shows you clearly everything that’s going on, but it’s a beautiful color display as well.
At just under 3 lbs., this metal detector won’t put any strain on your body each time you use it, and it even comes complete with the eight AA batteries you need to operate the device, which means you can begin using it within minutes of taking it out of the package.
In fact, it is so useful that the pinpoint feature can even tell you if the item being detected is large or small, saving you a lot of time while you’re out there detecting.
The Spectra V3i metal detector is one of the best products on the market, and not only is it well-built, but it is also able to accommodate both beginners and more experienced users, making this a very versatile metal detector indeed.
- HD Color Display – with adjustable backlight
- Spectra sound – wireless headphones
- 10 Turn-on-and-go Hunting Programs
- Multi-Frequency Detection; Standard Coil 10″ (DD).
- Model Number: 800-0329-HP
Priced at roughly $255, this is a very reasonably priced metal detector, but don’t let the low price fool you. Nokta makes some of the best metal detectors on the market, and this one is not only waterproof but able to be fully immersed in water and still keep on going.
The notch discrimination feature means you’ll have an easier time avoiding unwanted metals, and it even comes with an easy-to-read LCD backlit display.
Other features include search modes that let you explore whether you’re on the beach or in the park, an 11” coil that makes exploring large areas a little easier, and a lightweight design that makes carrying it from one area to another a lot easier than you think.
“Wow. If you are a newcomer to metal detecting then buy this. It does everything you need it to and is waterproof… If you aren’t new and you want a detector with great depth, and decent tunability, buy this machine today. You cannot get more for this money…period.”
The lithium-polymer battery that makes the detector functional comes in the package, so you can be exploring within minutes after you open it.
Even better, the Simplex+ metal detector is perfect for both beginners and more experienced users, so you’ll get a lot of use out of it regardless of your level of experience.
- IP68 – Fully submersible up to 3 meters (10 ft) and protected from total dust ingress.
- Iron Volume – Turns off or adjusts the volume of the low iron tone.
- Notch Discrimination – Discriminates Target IDs of unwanted metals.
- Search Modes – All Metal / Field / Park / Beach
- Fabulous Lighting for Night & Underwater Use – SIMPLEX+ has it all – LCD Backlight, Keypad Backlight, and LED Flashlight.
- IP68 - Fully submersible up to 3 meters and protected against full dust penetration.
- Iron volume: turns off or adjusts the volume of the low tone of the iron.
- Notch discrimination: discriminates against target identifiers from unwanted metals.
- Search modes: all metals, field, park, beach
- Fabulous lighting for night and underwater use - SIMPLEX+ has everything you need: LCD backlight, keyboard backlight and LED flashlight.
Here is yet another great metal detector made by the Nokta Makro company. This is a complete kit that includes the detector, headphones, digger, cap, and much more – in fact, it has everything you need for being successful out in the field or on the beach.
Priced at around $765 it even comes with a retractable shaft for more efficient searching. It is also fully submersible up to 16 feet, making it great when you’re out on the lake or at the ocean.
The Nokta Anfibio Multi metal detector has settings that help you find the perfect coin or gold piece, saving you a lot of time while you’re out on your search.
“The detector is exactly what I expected because I had done my research before buying. If you like searching for deeper finds, sniffing out relics, and the ability to be able to separate between treasure and trash, then this machine is for you! It is very adjustable and it seems like the machine is communicating to you as you swing. Love it!”
You get a lithium polymer battery that allows you to use the detector within minutes of taking it out of the package, and it is the perfect size to use if you want to stay comfortable when you’re out for long periods of time.
This metal detector has 2.4GHz wireless headphones to make searching for the perfect relic much easier, as well as a waterproof battery case and even a baseball cap for your enjoyment.
With this detector, you get a lot of bang for your buck, so it is definitely a product you won’t regret purchasing.
- 2.4 GHz Wireless Headphones
- Keypad Backlight
- Retractable Shaft
- Built-in Lipo Battery
- INCLUDES: Nokta Makro Anfibio Multi Underwater Metal Detector with 11" Waterproof DD Search Coil, Wireless Headphones, Coil Cover, USB Cable, AC Charger, and a Two-Year .
- Fully submersible up to 5 meters (16. 4ft. ) - IP68. Fully waterproof and protected from total dust ingress.
- Excellent Discrimination and Unmasking Ability. Save time by detecting the targets you want while spending less time digging.
- Advanced Beach Mode. Very stable operation in dry sand, wet sand and underwater.
- 9 Search Modes. GEN Delta / 2 Tone / 3 Tone / 4 Tone / 5 Tone / 99 Tone / Beach / Deep / Cache
Some Final Thoughts
When you want to buy a metal detector, you should first determine exactly what you’ll be searching for because each detector specializes in a different area.
Once you start your research, you’ll find there is a lot of variety in design, size, and of course, the cost of the detector.
When you do your due diligence you’ll find the same brand names keep popping up, and this is a good sign that those brands are reliable.
Things to look for include the weight of the metal detector, the manufacturer’s warranty, reviews from real customers that are usually found online, and whether or not it is ergonomically designed, which means it will be super comfortable and won’t cause your muscles any pain.
Today’s metal detectors come in all styles and in many different price ranges, but if you know what you’re looking for, it’s easier to make sure you get the perfect one in the end.