Metal detecting is a fantastic hobby for children of any age. It can be educational and brings out their curious side too. It encourages them to spend more time outside as well as giving them an opportunity to learn about their local history. So what are the Best Metal Detectors for Kids?
Well if your child wants to get started with metal detecting, one of the most crucial things is the choice of detector. Buy one that is too difficult to use and you could put them off for life. But if you choose the correct metal detector for your child, then you could open them up to the wonderful world of treasure hunting.
But don’t just take our word for it read on and decide for yourself.
What to Be Aware of When Buying The Best Metal Detector for Kids
In the following article, we look at what you should be aware of before you buy. And we also take a look at some of the best detectors out there to get your child started on this amazing hobby.
Here we will look at the different features and elements of a metal detector to look for when choosing a metal detector for kids. It has to be easy to use as well as having all the functionality to find that buried treasure.
Don’t Buy a Toy
Here are the reasons you should avoid the ‘toy’ type detectors that are on the market. These toyshop detectors tend to lack the technology needed to operate at a reasonable level. That having been said, you don’t have to spend a fortune to have fun. Other things to consider are:
- It should be lightweight making it easier to handle
- It should also be sturdy as it is liable to take a fair few knocks along the way
- It should also be easy to use as if it too difficult to operate it could put them off.
- It should be reasonably priced, as they will probably outgrow the machine and want to upgrade at a later date.
- It should be suitable for that particular child’s age and attention span
- It should do the job it’s intended to do…FIND STUFF!
The choices available can at first seem a bit overwhelming. But don’t panic. In this article we will break down what you need to know to help you make the right decision.
Always Go For a Good Brand
There are many reasons to stick to respected brands within the metal detecting market. These machines tend to be the ones that detectorists have used for years and they have evolved and developed to suit the user. Although they tend to be a little dearer than the unbranded detectors on the market, the warranties and after-sales service make them a great investment.
You Need to Check out the Features
Many of the metal detectors you will come across have an array of impressive features which would impress even the most seasoned detectorist, but in reality, your child would probably just become confused and frustrated and that is something we want to avoid.
For this reason you should be looking for a metal detector that can be used straight ‘out of the box’, with very little set up. That being said, we must avoid at all costs the ‘toy’ type machine as the inability to find any items can be just as frustrating.
Things like an LED screen, a waterproof coil, an adjustable shaft and if there are adjustable sensitivity settings, they should be simple enough for your child to adjust.
What Other Things Do You Need?
When they are starting out, your child will need a few things for them to get the best out of their new hobby. Fortunately many of the metal detector geared towards kids come with a lot of these accessories. A small shovel will come in handy to dig up their newly discovered treasure. Also, a set of comfortable headphones can be a very good investment.
Pick the Right Location To Detect With Your Kids
When they first venture out with their shiny new detector, it is probably best to choose a familiar and safe location to start detecting. There may be many exciting and tempting places in your location, but it is probably best not to be too adventurous, to begin with. In fact, one of the best places for kids to become familiar with their new detector is in their own backyard.
This will help them a great deal when they finally venture out to their local park or beach. While we are on this subject in most places they will need permission before they can detect there. We have an article that covers just that issue HERE.
Practice at Home
To really let them get to grips with their new machine, it is a great idea to plant a few coins around the garden which will give them some things to find. This is known as a ‘seeded hunt’ Just make sure you remember where the targets are.
If you bury the coins at different depths this will give them an opportunity to understand the different signals that they get from the detector and help them recognize the different sounds and indications of the machine. This can be a great family activity and you could even let them keep what they find.
Benefits for Kids & Adults
Things like a ‘seeded hunt’ are a great way to bond with your child, as well as getting them off their X Box or their iPhone for a while. Fresh air and exercise go hand in hand with being a detectorist, but there are some other often-overlooked benefits too.
This hobby, by its very nature, teaches your child patience and resilience, and the thrill when that persistence is rewarded will stay with your child for a long time. Another often overlooked area is the educational aspect of metal detecting. Learning the different types of metals, the knowledge they will gain about local history, and that spark of natural curiosity will be educating them without them even realizing it.
The Complete List Of The Best Metal Detectors For Kids
What follows is a wide-ranging list of the top 6 highly rated metal detectors for kids. All of these will work perfectly for your child, as they have been specially designed and developed with kids in mind. As you read the reviews you have to decide which suits your child best, based on your budget, their height, and their complexity:
The Bounty Hunter Junior is considered to be a great all-around detector for kids. And if you are looking for a low-cost machine to start your child off, this ticks all the boxes. This machine is produced in the USA and offers all the features you’d find on an adult detector, but here they are in an easy-to-use kid-sized machine.
If fact if you are looking for a child’s metal detector that has many features such as target identification, but is packaged in such a way it appeals to the younger children, then this is ideal. It is easy to use and can be easily adjusted to suit the individual. This detector has great depth and performance for the price.
The control panel on this machine is amazing and the guys at Bounty Hunter have used emoji’s to tell the user what they have detected. These are:
• Ferrous (Sad Face) – When the machine detects an iron target, things like bolts and screws, it displays the sad face on the panel. There’s also a low audio tone.
• Non-Ferrous Low Conductor (Question Mark) – If the detector finds a target in this category, a question mark icon is displayed along with a medium-pitch tone. This is due to the fact that the object could be rings or other jewelry, but then again it could also be trash such as a bottle top.
• Non-Ferrous High Conductor (Smiley Face) – Here’s the exciting one. When the detector finds something like silver coins, copper coins and silver jewelry, it indicates a smiley face emoji and high-pitch audio tone.
Pros & Cons
- 3 Target ID categories help identify buried metal objects.
- 3 Tone target ID provides different tones for different types of metal.
- Graphic depth indicator tells you how deep-buried objects are.
- Discrimination control (to eliminate unwanted targets).
- The battery life indicator notifies you when batteries need to be changed.
What you get with the Bounty Hunter Junior T.I.D, is a very high level of detecting functionality in a fun, compact lightweight and well designed package. It can detect coin-sized items at around 5 inches in depth and bigger objects much deeper than that.
And the three-category target ID gives you a good indication of what the item is before you even dig. It also has a depth indicator to let you know how deep the treasure is buried. The Bounty Hunter also comes with a one year warranty and is a very child friendly easy to use detector. This is what makes this machine one of the best metal detectors for kids
Next up is the Tacklife Metal Detector for kids. This detector is a great machine packed full of all the features your child will need when they go searching for buried treasure. It has three modes that can be selected to give the user better accuracy when detecting. It comes with a sizable 7.8” search coils which can be used in water, so this detector is ideal for use on the beach or in streams or rivers.
It is fitted with a large backlit funny LCD screen which is easy to read and displays 3 little emoji-like figures to help the user identify their finds while searching. You can also attach a set of headphones to take the detecting experience to another level.
This detector has a great design and with its ergonomic arm rest it makes it comfortable and easy to use for any young person. The shaft is adjustable from 24” to 45”, so it can be adapted as your child grows.
Pros & Cons
- Easy to Operate, lightweight, and fun
- Ergonomic design, adjustable stem extending from 61cm to 90cm adapts to users of different height.
- Distinctive audio tone – a low tone, a medium tone and a high tone displayed on the interesting icon that can distinguish different metals.
- Equipped with a large backlit LCD screen to display different detecting depth, discrimination, operating mode, overload warning, sensitivity level, and battery level.
- 20cm diameter search coil and the stem enables you to explore underwater, ideal for detecting on beaches or in streams.
- Headphones to plug in Jack (3.5 mm/1/8 inch), you can search for treasures in a noisy environments and the volume can be modulated.
- 1 X TACKLIFE MMD02 Metal Detector, 2 X 9V Battery, 1 X User’s Manual, 1 X Large Size Carrying Bag,
If you are looking for the best metal detector for your kids, then you won’t go far wrong with the Tacklife Metal Detector. With its large backlit LCD screen, it is easy-to-read and to understand, making metal detecting fun, even if you have no prior experience.
No products found.
This is a great starter detector for kids because it’s been manufactured with them in mind. The DR.ÖTEK Junior Metal Detector is as the name implies, a lightweight detector made especially for kids. . Not only that, it has a host of really great features which make this a brilliant starter machine for any child.
With its innovative screen where the color of the center LED will flash different light when it detects different treasures, to its huge 8.3” waterproof coil, you can take this metal detector almost anywhere and it won’t let you down. Another great feature is the 28-37 inches adjustable stem, which can easily adapt to children of different heights. And with its adjustable sensitivity settings, it is also very adaptable to different environments.
The DR.ÖTEK Junior Metal Detector is equipped with adjustable buzzers (low, medium and quiet) along with its LED lights; to give the user a clear indication what kind of treasure they have discovered. Also, the cool-looking red/blue and green LED lights let you search in the dark adding a new dimension to your child’s metal detecting.
Pros & Cons
- Great for searching in parks, natural areas, beaches, and public lands where you want to disturb the least amount of landscape.
- The 8.3-inch waterproof search coil enables you to use metal explorer under water
- 28-37 inches adjustable stem adapts to children of different heights.
- It’s great fun to find all the many things that are buried in your backyard and nearby areas. Keeps Children away from video games.
- The device is fitted with adjustable buzzers (low, medium, quiet) and an LED light to indicate what kind of treasures they have found.
- The cool red/blue/green LED light lets you work in the dark for a great deal more flexibility.
Due to its lightweight construction and its great design, this is an ideal metal detector for kids, if fact as we have said, it was designed with them in mind. Although this is probably a little too close to the ‘toy detector’ bracket, coming from the respected DR.ÖTEK stable, it is a fantastic starter detector for the smaller child and at a great price point too.
With a weight of just over 2 pounds, this makes this the ideal metal detector for kids. And with its 8” waterproof submersible search coil, it makes this machine a great all-rounder. It also folds up and can fit into a backpack or the carry case supplied. For ease of use, it has a padded arm support to take the strain off those young limbs.
The control panel is a mechanical setup as opposed to the LCD screens found on many other kids’ detectors. Having said that this setup is very easy to use, but still has the features that any detectorist would be proud of.
One 9v battery will run the machine for around 150 hours, so plenty of searching can be done at very little cost. And this little gem can detect to a depth of around 8”. The RM Ricomax metal detector not only has the advantage of being lightweight, but its telescopic shaft is adjustable between 35”–45”, making it the ideal detector for both slightly taller kids and adults alike. And for noisy conditions, you can attach a headphone jack to the meter housing.
Pros & Cons
- All-metal mode can identify different types of metals including coins, relics, jewelry, gold, copper, silver, etc
- Waterproof submersible coil probe. With a diameter of 8 inches, the coil can uncover the hidden metals up to 8-inch deep underground, which makes it a good choice for gold-digging along the beaches, riversides, and streams.
- Operated by 3 dials, one for adjusting the volume of the beep tone, one for the detection sensitivity, and one for the metal discrimination. The LED control panel(as well as the meter) can give you a clear view in the dark.
- To run the metal detector requires one 9V alkaline battery(not included), giving it in total of 150 hours of use.
- The detector weighs just 2.38 pounds. Its telescopic stem can be adjusted between 35 to 45 inches to fit for both kids and adults; The padded armrest adopting the ergonomic structure is very intuitive to control. On the meter, there is a 3.5mm jack. You can wear headphones and keep focus under noisy conditions.
The RICOMAX Metal Detector for Kids is perfect for beginners! It could take your child a little while to get used to the settings, but once done, he will be searching for buried treasure like a pro. Small, compact, easy to use and very accurate you can not far wrong with this machine. And if you head over to Amazon, by clicking the box below and read the reviews, you will see the huge age ranges that are really happy with their purchase.
If you want to buy your child a detector that will last and grow with him, look no further than the Sakobs GC 1080 Metal Detector. It has all the features that a beginner would want, but as they progress with their hobby they will find that it is far from basic in what it can do.
his machine will find coins, artifacts, jewelry, and any type of metal worth finding. It comes with the most intuitive LCD display with switchable light so that it can even be used at night. And along with that the detector’s hand rest has been redesigned and adjusted so that there is less stress placed upon the arm when they spend hours metal detecting.
The depth that this detector can reach is around 6.3” (16cm) and with a large 8.6” waterproof search coil, not only will it find things on the beach or in a stream but it will also cover a lot of ground. And with a shaft that is adjustable from 38”-45”, it can be altered as your child grows, and weighing in at only 2.5 pounds, you will be getting a lot of machine for your money.
Pros & Cons
- The bigger the search coil is, the higher the accuracy. The 8.6-inch big search coil can reach up to 6.3-inch depth underground, it is much more accurate than other similar metal detectors, greatly conducive to detecting efficiency.
- The WATERPROOF stem and coil allow you to explore in the water / in the river or on the beach.
- The all-metal mode can identify different types of metals including coins, relics, jewelry, gold, copper, silver, etc.
- With the LCD display screen, it is obviously more intuitive and convenient that you can see the detection mode, sensitivity level, battery condition, and volume level. With the led light, you can detect in dark light areas or nighttime.
- You can use the DISC function to discriminate the metal you don’t want. And also you can turn up or turn down the sensitivity of your metal detector according to your needs.
- Weighs only 2.5 pounds, and it is very lightweight. Its telescopic stem can be adjusted from 38 to 45 inches to fit both kids and adults.
- The padded armrest adopting the ergonomic structure is very intuitive to control.
- And also there is a 3.5mm headphone jack on the metal detector control box, wear a headphone and enjoy your metal detecting under noisy conditions.
What the guys at Sakobs have done here with this detector, is to design a great metal detector full of great features, but they have also future-proofed it as the child grows. It is easy to assemble and when you hold this machine you will realize the quality of the manufacturer. With its lightweight but sturdy construction and an easy-to-understand screen, this is a great metal detector for any child and will last them as they grow.
Another great detector for kids is the Garrett Ace 200. Although it is at the higher end price-wise, it is also at the very top in terms of quality. As we said in the introduction you should always stick to reputable brands and they don’t come any better than Garrett. And with the 200 you will be getting a straightforward detector that is easy to use but has all the features your child needs to start searching for that buried treasure.
Along with this you get a waterproof search coil and weighing in at a measly 2.75 pounds this machine provides a great introduction to the hobby of metal detecting without being too confusing for the user. In fact, one of the best things about the Garrett Ace 200 is that it is so easy to use. It has a very short learning curve and would probably suit the older child’s father more than the very young, due to the fact that this machine is a serious bit of kit.
The guys at Garrett have managed to incorporate great sensitivity as well as upgraded audio settings into this lightweight machine. In fact, this is a great option if you feel your child wants to take detecting a little more seriously as a hobby, as this quality-built detector has an array of solid and impressive characteristics.
Pros & Cons
- Numeric identification scale from 0 to 99. Identifies a target metal’s conductivity.
- Sharp, responsive audio package
- Three Search Modes
- Four Sensitivity adjustments
- Low Battery Indicator
- Disassembles into three pieces for storage/travel
- Only 2.75 lbs. (1.25 kgs)
If budget is not an issue and you feel that your child is one of those people who will really get involved in metal detecting, look no further than the Garrett ACE 200. I was a little reluctant to put this on the list of the best metal detectors for kids, but having owned one of these myself, I felt that the sheer quality of this machine demanded its inclusion.